We are excited to welcome Michael Christianson as Visiting Assistant Professor and Director of Bands to the VPA this year. Judging from his summer activities, he will be a fabulous asset to our department.
This summer, Mike
- Created and led (playing sousaphone) a New-Orleans style jazz marching band for the May Day March in New York City.
- Walked in the Rutgers University commencement with his oldest son! (Mike received his DMA, his son received his BM.)
- Conducted the Brass Ensemble for the 15th consecutive year for the Commencement Ceremony at the Cooper Union School in NYC.
- Got the Director of Bands job at MTU!!!!
- Moved to the UP.
- Performed in Denver with the Pittsburgh Collective, a jazz band led by composer David Sanford.
- Played on and conducted for a new recording for singer Ray Hoffman in NYC.