Tuesday, April 30, 2013

VPA Student Spotlight: Kaylee Edwards

Kaylee Edwards is a Computer Science major who is minoring in visual arts.

1. Why did you choose to minor in Art at Tech?

I started drawing when I was about 12, and since then art has been a huge part of my life. Before college, I was only able to take one art class. By choosing to minor in Art, I hoped to gain knowledge I could never have learned by myself and really push myself to improve.

2. How does a minor in the arts enhance your experience as a Tech Computer Science student?

Creative thinking is something they don't teach in Computer Science. My art classes help teach me how to improvise and work things out on my own. Not only does it help me learn by broadening my mind, but it helps me think of ideas for side projects like games and other applications.

3. What is the most important thing you have learned from your art experiences at Tech?

I've learned quite a few things from my art classes. Of course, this includes the technical aspects of design. However, the most important thing I've learned is that I need to really free myself to make art. It's essential to try new things, whether it be painting with ink when you only use charcoal or drawing from life when you usually draw from imagination. If you stick to what you know, then you'll never know if there's something you like better.

4. What inspires you?

What inspires me changes from day to day. Sometimes it's a song, but other times it's a book, show, or movie. Most recently, I've been inspired by Germany, and I've been looking forward to going there this summer so I can paint some landscapes.

5. What are your goals for after graduation? How will your arts minor help you achieve those goals?

After I graduate I hope to find a job in the Lower Peninsula. My art minor will show that I can do more than just program. It will show that I am creative, which can help in program design and even problem solving. This should show potential employers that my entire education at Michigan Tech has made me a well-rounded person.

6. What advice would you give to other Tech students who want to participate in the arts?

I'd advise students to take a class. I know the art classes can fill up really fast, especially if you're a 1st year, but if you email the instructor then they might let you in anyway. Really, once you take that first class, you realize how welcoming and helpful the department is. You'll be able to really learn with the resources available as an art student.